Whole30® is an innovative 30-day “nutritional reset” program. Co-founded in 2009 by Melissa Hartwig and Dallas Hartwig. Whole30® has proven to be an insightful and eye-opening experience. The program has delivered incredible and life-changing results for millions of people.
What results are we talking about? People who participate in Whole30® tend to report increased energy, significant fat loss, improved athletic performance, improved skin quality, better sleep, and enhanced food taste. Perhaps most importantly a healthier relationship with food and a deeper understanding of how different foods affect them individually.
How Whole30® Works
The basic premise of Whole30® is as follows:
- For 30 days, you completely eliminate a number of food groups that are known to be problematic for health. Including sugar, grains, alcohol, dairy, legumes, and additives like MSG, carrageenan, and sulfites. Even baked goods made with Whole30® “approved” ingredients are not permitted. Stated on their website, “a pancake is still a pancake, even if it’s made with coconut flour.”
- What you DO eat is real food: veggies, meat, fish, eggs, produce, herbs, spices, and quality fats. The goal is to fuel yourself with whole, nutrient-dense, unprocessed foods for 30 days straight. NO “cheating!” This gives your body a chance to detox and feel what it’s like to function on food you evolved to eat.
- At the end of the 30 day program, you gradually and strategically re-introduce the eliminated food groups so you can learn which types of food affect you and how. This helps you move forward from the program so you can maintain a sustainable way of eating that’s a “best fit” for you. “Food freedom,” as Melissa Hartwig calls it.
It’s fairly “strict” as far as nutrition plans go. Salad dressings and deli meats are no-go if they contain any non-compliant ingredients or additives. For most participants, the so-called “radical” experiment is overwhelmingly worth it.
5 Reasons Why September is the Perfect Time to do a Whole30® Challenge
Whole30® challenges can be done any time of the year. The company has a few annual Whole30® challenges for people interested in doing one with the support of an online community. The September Whole30® is one of their more popular challenges.
A few reasons why:
- September is the unofficial “fresh start” of the year—a perfect time to “reset” out of vacation mode.
- Whole30® inspires creativity. In the kitchen and while out to eat with loved ones. Streamline your mealtime!
- A Whole30® in September allows you to regain a sense of control in a season that is often stressful and jam-packed.
- A September Whole30® prepares you (physically and mentally) for the busy holiday season. It gives you a solid baseline of healthy habits to fall back on.
- This challenge is a fun way to do something with friends, family, and entire online community of like-minded people!
We love serving health-conscious guests with quality, affordable, and delicious food! We’re also the 4th restaurant in the United States and the only restaurant in Indy to earn the official “Whole30 Approved®” seal. If you live in the Indianapolis area and are currently doing the Whole30® challenge, come to Nook, A Paleo Influenced Diner for a Whole30® approved dining experience!